It’s tough to stay active during the holidays, even for the most committed exercisers.
Cold weather, exhausting events, copious amounts of food and drink at those events, and new streaming services popping up seemingly every month.
It may seem like the world is just begging you to stay sedentary on the couch, parked in front of the tube.
Luckily, you can use that screen time to your advantage!
An easy, fun way to get moving while watching your favorite holiday classics is to play a movie workout game. It’s like a drinking game…but you replace the boozing with exercise!
Whenever you see or hear one of these cues in the following holiday films, get up and do some moves. Your body will thank you.
A Christmas Story
- Whenever Ralphie’s dream Christmas gifts, the Red Ryder BB gun, is mentioned or seen, do 10 push-ups to get your own guns burning.
- Every time the infamous Leg Lamp is talked about or seen, stand up and do eight single-leg deadlifts on each leg to fire up your glutes and hamstrings.
- Whenever Kevin (Macauley Culkin) pulls a punishing stunt on the home invaders (Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern), stand up and do 10 butt kicks in place as they’re getting their butts kicked.
- Any time someone says “Kevin,” do 10 seconds of jab and cross punching.
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- Get up and get your cardio whenever Chevy Chase screws something up by doing 15 jumping jacks.
- Whenever someone slips, slides, falls down or takes a header, stand and do a set of forward lunges. Maintain proper form to prevent injury, like everyone in the movie.
- Whenever Will Ferrell shouts or screams something, stand up and run in a tight circle for 15 seconds. (Not recommended in a revolving door.)
- Anytime someone makes Buddy the butt of a joke, hit the floor and do 10 glute bridges to sculpt your booty.
It’s a Wonderful Life
- Anytime someone says “George Bailey,” get off that couch and do five reps of the surrender exercise to wake your quads up.
- Whenever you see snow, get down on the floor and eight T push-ups (4 on each side). You’ll work your upper body and core, all while still being able to peak at the screen!
- Every time a character says the word “actually,” get up and do 10 bodyweight squats.
- Whenever emotional music plays during a heartfelt speech, get down on the floor and do a plank. Just try and hold it until the music stops….
Miracle on 34th Street
- Whenever a Christmas tree appears on screen, stand up and do five star jumps. Same thing as the tree topping ornament, right?
- Whenever you see Santa, do 30 seconds of scissor kicks to ward off a Santa-like belly. (Love you, Santa!)
- Whenever Frank (Bill Murray) transitions from reality into fantasy — or vice versa — do 10 squat jacks.
- Anytime Frank touches his tie, do 10 mountain climbers.
A Charlie Brown Christmas
- When the classic upbeat theme song plays — as in the scene when the Peanuts kids are getting funky in the gym — stand up and dance in place. Freestyle!
- During the iconically mellow rendition of Christmastime is Here, chill out with this series of stretching exercises you can do while seated or on the floor in front of the TV, like the seated neck stretch, chest and pec stretch, and happy baby.
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
- Anytime the Grinch grins, do one of these face yoga exercises, like the Cheek Lifter.
- When the Grinch creeps from place to place on tiptoe, do 10 standing calf raises to join in on the fun.