One of my favorite bits of racing advice is to have a “secret weapon” song. This is the song that hypes you up no matter what. It’s a song that you’ll never tire of hearing. A song that will put extra bounce in your step no matter how heavy your legs feel. Save that song for a moment in the race where you want to give in—and play it at full volume.
Most of the playlists that I’ve created have an ebb and flow, an intentional order. They begin with a few chill songs to help ease you into a workout, then really amp up toward the middle, and then wind down again at the end. But this week’s playlist—which isn’t just for runners, by the way—is totally different.
This week is all about pushing through that last rep, running down that last half-mile, or riding through your final climb. Everyone needs a go-to reserve of songs that’ll help them tap into that extra bit of strength when we need it most—and hopefully, that’s exactly what these will do for you. Several SELF staffers contributed their personal “push” songs to this track list, so there’s a bit of pop, rock, and rap all thrown together for an energetic and eclectic mix. Browse the list below or keep scrolling for the full track list.
- “Say It Again” by Will Sparks
- “Streets – Disclosure Remix” by Doja Cat
- “Domino” by Jessie J
- “So What’Cha Want” by Beastie Boys
- “Sex on Fire” by Kings of Leon
- “SUMMER RENAISSANCE” by Beyoncé
- “Kick, Push” by Lupe Fiasco
- “Elastic Heart” by Sia
- “Welcome to the Black Parade” by My Chemical Romance
- “Lights – Bassnectar Remix” by Ellie Goulding
- “Yeah!” by Usher feat. Lil Jon and Ludacris
- “Play Hard” by David Guetta feat. Akon, Ne-Yo
- “Stupid Love” by Lady Gaga
- “Don’t Start Now” by Dua Lipa
- “On to the Next One” by Jay-Z, Swizz Beatz
- “Don’t Stop the Music” by Rihanna
- “Butter” by BTS
- “Toxic” by Britney Spears
- “Slow Dancing in the Dark – Loud Luxury Remix” by Joji
- “Juice” by Lizzo
- “Love Generation” Radio Edit by Bob Sinclair, Gary Pine